Casinos Offering Sports Betting in the United States
HIGHEST CLASS SITES OF 2022
License: British Virgin Islands
License: Costa Rica
Software: Ace Gaming
If you are a fan of sports, you know how satisfying it is when your favorite team wins. Now, you can discover how much more satisfying it is when your team wins, AND you win. How is that possible you ask? Easy. We'll show you the best casinos that offer sports betting in the United States.
What States Allow Sports Betting?
In 2018, New Jersey challenged Congress on the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act, which took power out of the hands of the state regarding legal gambling. The federal government up until that point had unilaterally decided to block any attempts of the states to implement their regulations concerning sport wagers. The result of that Supreme Court ruling went in New Jersey's favor, meaning that it is now up to each state to pass relevant laws.
What this means for you as a sports fan is that you are responsible for being aware of and abiding by your local rules. This quick guide will give you a CliffsNotes version of the relevant legislation, state by state before you go looking for a casino to place a sports bet at.
First, which states allow sports betting in the United States? To date, thirteen states have some form of legalized sports betting, including Arkansas, Delaware, Indiana, Iowa, Mississippi, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and West Virginia. Importantly, four of those thirteen states do not as of yet allow mobile sports betting, but it is only a matter of time, and some of them already have plans to do so. Those four states are Arkansas, Mississippi, New York, and Oregon. That leaves thirty-eight states that are at different stages of the process, with some having already tabled legislation and others, like Utah, that will likely never legalize it. Before you engage in sports betting in the United States, make sure to be up to date with your state's rules and the registered establishments where you can place your bets.
Popular Games in the United States
There are plenty of options when it comes to sports betting in the United States. From all different sports to various levels of competition, you are sure to find an option that gets you revved up. Unless, of course, high school sports are your thing, then you might have to wait a bit longer, if ever, for that legislation to pass.
- College Sports - In 2019, the first year that sports betting was legal outside of Las Vegas sportsbooks, Americans wagered $8.5 billion dollars on March Madness.
- NFL - Super Bowl commercials aren't the only thing generating revenue on Super Bowl Sunday. $150 million was legally wagered on sports betting in the United States in 2018. Following New Jersey's win in the Supreme Court in May of 2018, that amount more than doubled in the first year of legal bets being placed at legal online casinos.
- NHL - In 2018 the NHL entered a partnership with MGM Resorts, announcing MGM as the NHL's official betting partner.
- MLB - With scandal in the storied past of MLB when it comes to betting (just Google "1919" and "White Sox"), MLB has been extra careful to stay within the bounds of the law.
- NBA - The NBA's commissioner, Adam Silver, has been vocally in support of legal sports gambling - that is, if the NBA gets a cut of it, of course.
- MLS - If betting in the UK on Premier League matches is any indication, look to see lots more activity in MLS sports betting now that legislation has been opened up in the United States.
- eSports - Now here's a funny example. With the definition of what qualifies as a sport up for debate depending on who you talk to, some states legalize betting on eSports matches under general gambling laws while others include it under sports betting.
Features to Consider when Looking for a Sports Casino
Now that you've consulted your local state laws regarding sports betting in the United States, it's time to pick a casino. Don't just place your bets at the first casino that catches your eye, however. Here are some things you might consider when looking for the best place to make a sports bet.
- Variety - If any, or all, of the sports mentioned above caught your fancy, be sure to find a casino that offers betting on the sports you are interested in. If not, keep on moving, and you will be sure to find one that does.
- User-Friendly Layout - With all the possible lines you have to place your wagers on any given day, you'll do well to find a site that has an easy to understand layout. If you are not sure what you are betting on or you are being distracted by miscellaneous irrelevant flashing ads, then find a casino that is easier to navigate and is easier on the eyes.
- Payment Options - Look for a casino that has a good selection of payment processors. There's nothing worse than going to cash out your prize only to find out that you have to download yet another app or sign up for another service provider. Find a website that already offers payment processing through the eWallet of your choice.
Types of Sportsbook Promo Codes
Lastly, when you are comparing online betting establishments for one that ticks all your boxes, be sure to check out their promo codes also. Some casinos may offer a match bonus of 100% for signing up. Others might give you up to $200 if you refer a friend. Some will even give out free entries weekly into fantasy pools.
Armed with this information, you are now able to start winning alongside your sports team each game night. Get in on the action and make informed decisions by checking back here often for the best new casinos.